Our School Travel Policy, available on this website, reflects our commitment to promoting Active Travel to school. Our Road Safety Heroes lead the work around active travel and keeping our children safe on the roads around our school.
We are working towards earning our Bronze Modeshift STARS award. Modeshift STARS is the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel. The scheme encourages schools across the country to join in a major effort to increase levels of sustainable and active travel in order to improve the health and well-being of children and young people
We recognise the many positive benefits for pupils walking, scooting and cycling to and from school. We therefore encourage pupils and parents to travel to school by cycling, scooting and walking (active travel) wherever possible.
Some of the benefits of active travel are:
· improving both mental and physical health through physical activity
· establishing positive active travel behaviour
· promoting independence and improving safety awareness
· reducing congestion, noise and pollution in the community
· reducing the environmental impact of the journey to school.
To encourage pupils to cycle or scoot to school frequently the school will:
· actively promote walking, cycling and scooting as a positive way of travelling
· celebrate the achievements of those who walk, cycle and scoot to school
· provide cycle and scooter storage on the school site
To make cycling and scooting to and from school a positive experience for everybody concerned, we expect our pupils to:
· ride sensibly and safely and to follow the Highway Code
· check that their bicycle or scooter is roadworthy and regularly maintained
· behave in a manner which shows them and the school in the best possible light and to consider the needs of others when cycling or scooting
· consider wearing a cycle helmet
· ensure they can be seen by other road users, by using lights and wearing high-visibility clothing, as appropriate.
For the wellbeing of our pupils, we expect parents and carers to:
· encourage their child to walk, cycle or scoot to school whenever possible
· encourage their child to take up opportunities to develop their competence and confidence in cycling or scooting
· consider cycling or scooting with their child on the school run
· provide their child with equipment such as high-visibility clothing, lights, a lock and cycle helmet as appropriate
· ensure that the bicycles and scooters ridden to school are roadworthy and regularly maintained
Activities to promote active travel in school to date include:
· Road Safety Heroes appointed to promote active travel work in school – leading assemblies, visiting classes to share road safety work, working with outside agencies to promote active travel, promotion of active travel to school on the school gate in the mornings, writing to parents and the community to share good practice, promote the school’s work and share responsibility
· In-school and inter-school competitions
· ‘ScootFit’ training sessions for children in Reception – Year 6
· Participation in ‘The Big Pedal’
· Road Safety Week annually
· Wellbeing Week with a focus on active travel to school
Find out more at these websites: